What is a Certified Information Security Manager?
Certified Information Security Manager (CISM) is a vendor-neutral certification hosted by Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA). If you want to advance your career into Information security management, CISM can be a career-changing certification for you. Almost all security management jobs today prefer to hire candidates holding CISM / CISSP Credentials.
Why CISM is so valued?
- Holistic understanding:
The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) has accredited the CISM certification program under ISO/IEC 17024:2012.
A successful security manager must understand the below question:
- How the entire security program is set up in the enterprise?
- Integration of IT Security in IT function and alignment of both with Enterprise governance
- How to evaluate and minimize IT risk helping the enterprise achieve its objectives
- How to effectively monitor IT Security to ensure the security program achieve its objectives
- Market Demand:
- All enterprise needs security managers who understand security holistically. That’s one reason all security Management Job descriptions prefer CISM as it’s the eligibility
- CISM ranks among the highest-compensated certifications worldwide in Certification Magazine’s Salary Survey 2018, with an average global salary of U.S. $120,410.
How Can you Achieve CISM?
To achieve CISM you need to fulfil the below eligibility:
Submit verified evidence of a minimum of five years of information security work experience, with a minimum of three years of information security management work experience in three or more of the job practice analysis areas. This work experience should have been gained within the last 10-year period preceding the application date for certification or within 5 years from the date of originally passing the exam. For the definition of the waiver on the exam eligibility please refer ISACA CISM Eligibility page.
Once you meet the Work experience, the process flow is as below:
- Successfully pass the CISM exam
- Adhere to ISACA’s Code of Professional Ethics
- Agree to comply with the Continuing Education Policy
- Work experience in the field of information security
- Apply for CISM Certification (Endorsement Process)
How to prepare:
Take a classroom / Online training
- 32 Hours online / Classroom Training
- Highly experienced Trainers (Min industry experience – 15 years)
- Customized Free Study material, notes and videos
- Pass your CISM exam within a month
- Contact us for free mentoring and early-bird discounts
Official Study Reference
- Read the CISM Review Manual 15th Edition
- CISM Review Questions, Answers & Explanations Manual 9th Edition
- Refer ISACA page for more study references